Metric Field Safety Insight
Since we are officially in summer, and temperatures will be well above 85OF, hydration needs to be a focus going into our mindset. We already know, water is the most essential substance on planet Earth. Everything from people, animals, and plants need water to live. Not only does water dictate our productivity from an occupational standpoint, it also is critical to many important bodily functions. In order to be the best version of ourselves daily we need to be mindful of our water intake.
Below are some interesting statistics and facts regarding water and how it relates to human performance:
- According to the United States Geological Survey, up to 60% of the human body is made up of water.
- The #1 Cause for daytime fatigue is inefficient water intake.
- Short term memory loss can be triggered when a 2% drop in water level is reached.
- Water is known to act as a lubricant and cushion to our joints
- Water flushes the body of toxins.
- Water regulates our body temperature.
Some best practices to combat dehydration include:
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. Most plastic water bottles are 16oz. A glass of water equals 8oz. So four bottles a day would meet your daily requirement. This amount is a minimum amount to shoot for; you may need even more water than that. Many people do not realize how little water they actually drink. Pay attention to how much you drink today and add to it if needed.
- If you are thirsty you are already dehydrated, try to consume 8oz before you leave for the workday, and another before the lunch hour.
- Drinks like coffee, soda, and sugary juices steal water from your body, try to limit your intake of these beverages.