Metric conducted field work and submitted a Further Site Investigation Report to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) for approval. The purpose of the Further Site Investigation Report was to obtain site data to define the vertical and lateral extent of the on-site contamination plume and to resolve data gaps from previous remedial investigation activities. This Further Site Investigation Report was part of a long-term effort to enter the site into the Voluntary Remediation Program (VRP) and ultimately obtain site closure.
Metric Assessment-Remediation staff conducted a variety of in-field activities at the site, including the following:
- Installation of four (4) additional monitoring wells at varying depths to further delineate the vertical and horizontal extent of contaminants of concern (COCs) detected in groundwater at the site,
- Installation of two (2) piezometer wells for the purpose of potentiometric surface data collection. All on-site well locations and elevations were re-surveyed to ensure accurate potentiometric surface data collection. Metric conducted monthly groundwater potentiometric surveys over a period of three months, and
- One (1) round of groundwater sampling of all existing and proposed on-site monitoring wells for laboratory analysis of COCs.
Following the completion of field work, Metric prepared a Further Site Investigation Report and submitted it to IDEM for approval. The Further Site Investigation Report included the following:
- Narrative describing the environmental history of the property, field activities conducted by Metric, analysis of the sampling results, detailed reasoning to substantiate the delineation of the on-site plume, and recommendations based on the results,
- Diagrams that interpret the extent of contamination in the shallow and deeper portions of the aquifer sampled,
- Soil and groundwater north-south and east-west geologic cross sections diagrams that include wells that delineate extents of groundwater impacts, and
- Data tables summarizing groundwater COC concentrations detected during the additional subsurface activities compared to IDEM Remediation Closure Guide (RCG) Screening Levels and historical groundwater sampling results.
Metric staff was able to coordinate with the site tenants, the site owner and representatives, various subcontractors, and IDEM in order to complete the tasks listed above efficiently and thoroughly. The Further Site Investigation Report was approved by IDEM and the client is moving towards their long-term environmental goals for the site.
City of Muncie, IN
Further Site Investigation Report